The holiday season is upon us which brings with it the hope of cooler temperatures and plans for celebrations and enjoying time with friends and family. During the holiday season, there will be the usual library closings in observance of these dates. Sarasota County Libraries will be closed Thursday, November 23, 2017 and Friday, November 24, 2017. We will re-open at 10 a.m. on Saturday, November 25, 2017.
Even though the buildings may be closed you are never without library service. Your Sarasota County Library Card gives you access to a wide variety of online library services and resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you visit our website at scgov.net/library you can access your library account to search the catalog, place holds on items, renew your items or pay your fines. While you’re there you can search for and download eBooks through Overdrive or Cloud Library, download free music from Freegal, watch movies on Access Video On Demand, read your favorite magazine with Flipster, learn a new language from Mango Languages, fix your car using Chilton Library, learn how to play an instrument with ArtistWorks, or conduct research from any of the numerous databases that we offer. You can even join an online book club, if that’s what interests you.
For more information or assistance with navigating our website and these resources, please stop by the Elsie Quirk Library Reference Desk where one of our helpful librarians will be happy to provide a one-on-one orientation.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 10 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Reunion SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 2 p.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film, a paleo-climatologist must make a daring trek from Washington, D.C. to New York City, to reach his son who is trapped in the crosshairs of a sudden international storm that plunges the planet into a new Ice Age. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 4 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- All Sarasota County Libraries and Government offices are closed today for Thanksgiving
- All Sarasota County Libraries and Government offices are closed today for the Thanksgiving holiday.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.