Are we there yet? Have you ever wondered how long it would take if you could drive the minimum distance to Mars? According to the NASA website, if you drove a car at an average highway speed of 62 mph, it would take you more than 66 years to reach the Red Planet! Why is it called the Red Planet? Mars is often referred to as the Red Planet due to its red soil that contains iron oxide or rust.
If you’ve asked questions like these and you’re interested in learning more about the fourth planet from the Sun, you are invited to come to Elsie Quirk Library to hear NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador, Linda McKenna, talk about what we have learned from over 40 years of robotic explorers on the planet Mars, on Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 2 p.m. Linda will share current mission goals and the technologies engineers and scientists are developing for astronauts to one day live and work on Mars, and safely return home to Earth. She will also discuss the next major milestone in space exploration: a manned mission to Mars which is being planned for the 2030s!
NASA’s Solar System Ambassador program brings the science and excitement of NASA’s space exploration missions and discoveries to the public.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Long Writers Group meets at 10:30 a.m.
- Spanish/Bilingual Story Time at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3-11. Enjoy bilingual stories, songs, and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills. Presented by library volunteer Lourdes Fuller. Everyone welcome.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:30 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- OWOW Writer’s Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to certified pet therapy dogs from the Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is the true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner’s son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry against his father’s wishes. (PG, 1 hr. 48 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogy Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets at 5:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11-18 are always welcome.
- Teen Game Night takes place at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all youth ages 9-18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Eckankar meets at 6 p.m.
- Reading Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. They will be discussing the book “Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress” by Dai Sijie.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “T is for Turkey”.
- The Knitting Club is cancelled for today.
- Mars: What we have learned so far and future goals at 2 p.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 3:30 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 12 noon. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.