Today is the day you’ve been waiting for! It’s finally here! Free Comic Book Day at the Library! This year celebrates the 15th anniversary of Free Comic Book Day. Sarasota County Libraries and the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library have partnered with The Dark Side, an independent comic book store, to provide free comic books to our library customers. Comic book fans can get special issues and those new to comics can try them out for free! Comics are an original American art form, created in the early 20th century. Comic books are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse story lines that capture the imagination of readers. If you like to read comic books you might also want to try out a graphic novel. Graphic novels are similar to comic books since they use sequential art to tell a story, but are in the form of a paperback book. The library has a large collection of graphic novels available for readers of all ages to borrow. Stop by the library anytime Saturday, May 6th between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to pick up your free comic book and check out the graphic novel section while you’re here!
Here are the library events for this week:
- FREE Comic Book Day 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Come to the Youth Program Room and pick up your free copies (one of each comic book per family). All ages welcome.
- Suncoast Writer’s Guild General Meeting 10:30 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am or 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- OWOW Writers Group meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Camera Club Summer Shutterbugs meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs 3:30 p.m. For ages 5 and up (younger if accompanied with a caregiver). Practice your reading and communication skills while reading with certified therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interaction.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In this week’s film A CIA agent, acting under the cover of a Hollywood producer scouting a location for a science fiction film, launches a dangerous operation to rescue six Americans in Tehran during the U.S. hostage crisis in Iran in 1980. (Rated R, 158 min., 2012).
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Mobile Unit will be in the library parking lot 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Health care staff will provide blood pressure screenings, BMI measurement, diabetes screening, HIV/STD testing, tips for staying healthy, referrals for “Quit Your Way” with Tobacco Free Florida, referrals to Community Health Centers of Sarasota County for ongoing health care. For more information call 941-400-1412 or go to sarasotahealth.org.
- iPads for Beginners Part 1 at 2:00 p.m. Learn hands on iPad basics, internet browsing, downloading apps, how to take a photo and more. iPads are available for participants to use, or bring your own (Apple ID required). Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – CODING at 3:30 p.m. Children ages 5 – 11 can learn how to code using Hour of Code TM. Participants will use the library iPads to learn about this basic digital skill. Registration is required and limited to 10 children.
- Café Athena Discussion Group meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Mother’s Day”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 2:00 p.m. A member from the Elsie Quirk Library Reference Team will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30 minute session by calling 941-861-1207 or register at the Reference Desk.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.