Volunteers needed! We have many wonderful programs and services that the Elsie Quirk Public Library will be offering this summer. Adult volunteers as well as teens 14 and over are needed to help us make this summer a success! Our summer reading program starts June 6th and volunteers can help us in a variety of ways. We are offering a special Teen Volunteer Orientation on Tuesday from 1 pm to 2:30 pm. Adults interested in volunteering are asked to register at www.scgov.net/volunteers or email Heidi Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Starting June 13th, the Elsie Quirk Library will be offering a free hot lunch Monday through Thursday with a free bagged lunch on Friday. This meal is sponsored by the Sarasota County Schools and the USDA Summer Food Service Program. The meal is open to all youth 18 and under and is held each weekday throughout the summer from 12 pm to 12:45 pm. Volunteers are needed to assist with this program. Help us to make our Summer BreakSpot a bright spot for area children. Visit the Summer BreakSpot website at http://www.summerfoodflorida.org/ to learn more about this wonderful program.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Listen & Learn Spanish Storytime starts at 10:30 am and is open to children ages 3 through 11. Join volunteer Lourdes Fuller for a fun time with bilingual stories, songs and activities. Everyone welcome!
- Englewood Pokemon League meets from 2:30 pm to 5 pm. Beginner’s welcome. This program is facilitated by Pokemon Certified Professors. Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.
- All Sarasota County Libraries are closed in observance of Memorial Day
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10:00 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Teen Volunteer Orientation for ages 14 to 18 is 1 pm to 2:30 pm. Learn valuable employment skills and contribute to your community by volunteering at the library. All interested teens who are at least 14 years old or entering the 9th grade must attend this orientation. It is recommended that you register online now at www.scgov.net/volunteers. You must be approved before you can begin your summer hours. For more information visit the youth services desk, call 941-861-1212 or email Deirdre Morrow at email@example.com.
- The Lego Club meets from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and the 3rd Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3:00 pm.
- Englewood Area Mac Users Group meets from 1:30 pm to 4 pm.
- Henna Art for Teens is at 1 pm and open to youth ages 10 to 18. Paul Stonebridge will present this program offering teens and ‘tweens the opportunity to learn more about henna artistry. Everyone will learn how to create artistic henna designs on their skin. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.