In an effort to help end summer hunger Sarasota County Libraries are once again partnering with Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services and All Faiths Food Bank by participating in the Summer Breakspot Lunch program and the Campaign to End Summer Hunger Backpack program to ensure that children get a nutritious meal when school is not in session.
Elsie Quirk Library will be serving FREE lunches to children ages 18 and under beginning June 12th through August 4th. Wholesome lunches will be served daily, Monday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. An afternoon snack will also be provided from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Registration is not required any child can simply come to the library during meal times to receive a free meal.
All Faiths Food Bank will be providing Elsie Quirk Library with bags of kid-friendly food for distribution to children and families to take home throughout the summer. Food bags will be available at the Youth Services desk during regular library hours.
For more information about the Summer Breakspot Lunch program including lunch menus and other serving locations visit the Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services website at sarasotacountyschools.net/departments/FNS. More information about All Faiths Food Bank’s Campaign to End Summer Hunger can be found at www.allfaithsfoodbank.org. If you would like to volunteer to help serve lunches or snacks please call 941-861-1215 for information.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild Workshop 10:30 a.m.
- LEGO Club meets at 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and the 3rd Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place in 19th-century France when paroled prisoner Jean Valjean, seeks redemption, regains his social standing, and rises to the rank of Mayor. He encounters a beautiful and desperately ill factory worker and agrees to care for her daughter after her death. All the while being obsessively pursued by the policeman, Javert who vows to make him pay for the crimes of his past. Based on the novel “Les Miserables” by Victor Hugo. (Rated PG-13, 158 min. 2012). Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Dementia Awareness 10:30 a.m. Joyce Berry with Right at Home: In Home Care and Assistance will provide a presentation about Dementia Awareness. Topics for the program include dementia recognition, medical and legal information, guardianship, financial planning, and doctor diagnosis.
- Englewood Camera Club – Summer Shutterbugs meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – MATH. For ages 5-11 at 3:30 p.m. Learn about and enjoy the math behind your favorite activities. Based on the Bedtime Math Curriculum. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- Minecraft Afterschool For ages 7-11 at 3:30 p.m. Unleash your imagination as you play Minecraft on the Xbox (360 Edition). Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners.
- R.E. Enlightenment Book Club meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Ready, Set, Read”
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 2:00 p.m. A member from the Elsie Quirk Library Reference Team will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30 minute session by calling 941-861-1207 or register at the Reference Desk.
- Come and enjoy the relaxing Golden Reading Garden.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.