Elsie Quirk Library Column
As Charlotte County celebrates their last day of school on Thursday, it’s clear that Summer Reading is right around the corner. There are several exciting new things coming up at the Elsie Quirk Library that may just make this our best summer yet! Stay tuned for some wonderful announcements which are sure to enhance your library experience.
We are excited to announce that we have a new team member at Elsie Quirk Library. Alyssa Lopez began her assignment on May 2, as our newest Reference Librarian. She received her bachelor’s degree in History and master’s degree in Library and Information Science, both from the University of South Florida. She has extensive public library experience working in neighboring Charlotte County as well as Lee County. Ms. Lopez was originally born in upstate New York, but was raised in Florida. Please stop by and welcome her while she makes a book recommendation or provides you with technological assistance.
Here are the library events for this week:
Saturday, May 14
- Art with Carolyn begins at 10:30 am and is open to children ages 5 through 11. Children will be creating Miniature Art while learning basic art techniques. Limited to 15 children. Register online at http://scgov.net/library.
- Englewood Pokemon League meets from 2:45 pm to 4:45 pm. Beginner’s welcome. This program is facilitated by Pokemon Certified Professors. Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.
Monday, May 16
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play will return June 6th.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5:00 pm. A mathematical genius experiences trials and triumphs on his way to notoriety. Based on the Nobel Prize winner John Nash, Jr.
(PG-13, 2 hrs. 15 mins., 2001)
- Gratis clase de Ingles para hispanoblantes va del mes de enero 9th. English class for Spanish speakers will return January 9th.
Tuesday, May 17
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10:00 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. All are welcome to attend as individuals work together to learn more about computers. For more information email, OurEDD@comcast.net.
Wednesday, May 18
- iPads for Beginners Part 2 will meet from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm. This class builds on the Part 1 class. Topics will include using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps and how to download Sarasota Library eBooks (Sarasota Library card and pin number is required). iPads are available for participants to use. If you bring your own iPad you will need an Apple ID. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants. Register at https//scgtov.net/library.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11 through 18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Teen Game Night is 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm and open to all youth ages 9 through 18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
Thursday, May 19
- Our weekly Story Time starts at 10:30 am and is planned for ages birth through 5. This week’s theme is, Dogs & Cats. Register in the Youth Services Room upon arrival.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
- E.P.I.C. will meet at 3:00 pm to discuss peace issues.
Friday, May 20
- No events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.