Summertime is almost upon us — it’s already hot outside. If you’re looking for a way to beat the heat, visit the Elsie Quirk Library for some cool reads. You’re always welcome to come in and just browse the shelves and the many displays that are available, but if you’re not sure where to look, the library has some databases that can help. Finding your next good book is easier than ever with NoveList Plus for adult readers or NoveList K-8 Plus for younger readers. With NoveList you can find books that match your reading style. You can search by “read-alike” and genres such as historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, suspense and more. You can also search for non-fiction reads as well. Another database that is helpful is Books & Authors. Books & Authors offers recommendations, summaries, expert picks and reviews of books. To access these databases from home or at the library, log on to www.scgov.net/library and click the link for Research Help and More, then Books and Reading to get started. There is something for everyone at the library no matter your age or areas of interest and you surely won’t leave empty handed. What are you waiting for? Visit the library today to discover your next favorite book!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. As the Civil War continues to rage, America’s president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves. (Rated PG, 158 min., 2012). Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- iPads for Beginners Part 2 10:00 a.m. This class builds on iPads for Beginners Part 1. Topics will include using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, and how to download Sarasota County Library ebooks. iPads are available to use, or bring your own (you will need an Apple ID). Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11 through 18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Teen Game Night is 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm and open to all youth ages 9 through 18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Swimming”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 2:00 p.m. A member from the Elsie Quirk Library Reference Team will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30 minute session by calling 941-861-1207 or register at the Reference Desk.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 3:00 p.m.
- Visit the Friends of the Library Bookstore to stock up on your beach reads for the summer!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.