The Reading Discussion Group will be meeting one more time this season on Thursday, May 17 at 10:15 a.m. They will discuss “The Zookeeper’s Wife” by Diane Ackerman. It is a true story in which the keepers of the Warsaw Zoo saved hundreds of people from Nazi hands during World War II.
In 1939 the Germans invaded Poland and raided the zoo, killing many of the animals and taking prized specimens back to Berlin. Zookeepers Jan and Antonina Zabinski joined the Polish Underground and risked their lives by hiding Jews in the empty animal cages and habitats. Because of their bravery they helped save as many as 300 people from extermination. “The Zookeeper’s Wife” is a moving and dramatic story of empathy and the power of love. Ackerman’s touching and powerful narrative brings this little-known story of heroism and compassion to light.
The Reading Discussion Group is sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. The Friends invite you to attend their Annual Meeting on Thursday, May 17 at 3 p.m. Come and learn about all of the many programs and services the Friends support throughout the year. Consider becoming a Friend of the Library today. Membership information can be found at the library or online at friendsofelsiequirk.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Long Writers meets at 10 a.m.
- Spanish Story Time at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3 and up. Bilingual stories, songs, and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 3 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. The program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film (PG-13, 2 hrs. 13 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Manatee-Sarasota Sierra Club – Conservation Committee meets at 1 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Group (T.A.G.) meets at 5:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Come join the group and provide input and help with library programs.
- Eckankar meets at 6 p.m.
- Teen Game Night at 6:30 p.m. For ages 9-18. This is an open invitation for teens and tweens to play video games on our Wii and Xbox 360.
- Reading Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. Discussion title: “The Zookeeper’s Wife” by Diane Ackerman
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Musical Mayhem”.
- Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Annual Meeting meets at 3 p.m. Regular monthly board meeting to follow.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 3 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.