There is a famous quote that states, “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.” The Elsie Quirk Library and Golden Garden located on-site, offer numerous gardening education and opportunities for all ages. Attend the weekly Master Gardener Plant Clinic which meets on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. This ongoing workshop is offered by Jim Pollard, through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. Receive research-based lawn, landscape, and pest management help from the University of Florida. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/.
The Family Garden Club of Englewood is inviting all gardeners or potential gardeners to join them in learning some of the complexities of growing plants and trees in South Florida. The Garden Club offers a monthly event to make friends while learning more about gardening. The library hosts the club on the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m. The next meeting is April 11 with speaker, Dolly Tomalinas. Dolly is a Master Gardener and specializes in Horticultural Therapy. The talk will focus on the fact that nearly all cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cactus. A coffee social will follow this meeting. For more information, please visit their website at www.mgcefl.com.
Children ages birth through 5 and their families are also invited to join in on the fun with this week’s storytime theme of, In the Garden! Our weekly Family Storytime is held each Thursday at 10:30 a.m. Enjoy interacting with your child through early literacy activities that include music, movement, books, and school readiness.
If you love gardening and are interested in a volunteer opportunity, you are encouraged to join the Elsie Quirk Golden Garden Maintenance Committee. Members will meet once a month to work on garden projects with Master Gardener, Jim Pollard. Our Golden Garden includes a brick walkway where you can honor or memorialize a loved one. These special engraved pavers can be ordered through the Friends’ Bookstore.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- iPads for Beginners: Part 1 will start at 10:00 a.m. Learn hands-on iPad basics including internet browsing, downloading apps, taking photos and more. iPads area available for use in the library or you may bring your own. Registration is required.
- Spanish Story Time starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages 3 to 11. Join Lourdes Fuller for a fun, interactive morning with bilingual stories, songs, and activities. No registration required.
- Our Adult Coloring Workshop starts at 2:00 p.m. and is a great opportunity to relax while expressing your creativity. No instruction necessary. All materials will be provided but feel free to bring your own if preferred.
- Great Decisions starts at 10:00 a.m. This is America’s largest discussion series on world affairs. Attendees are asked to read each session’s selected Great Decisions topic before attending. The book can be purchased at the Friends bookstore for $23 each.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play is a free class for caregivers and children ages birth to 5 to enjoy together and is held from 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 11:15 a.m. to noon. Experience educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5:00 p.m. Sophie dreams of becoming a writer and travels to Verona, Italy where she meets the “Secretaries of Juliet”.
(Romance, PG, 1 hr. 45 mins.) (2010)
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes starts at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills. Students should be able to speak some basic English.
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
- SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) with Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida will be offering a program today at 3:00 p.m. The focus of the program will be Medicare but other questions regarding insurance and available service to seniors are welcome.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead-Math is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
- The French Conversation Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Family Storytime starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, In the Garden.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners will meet from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Learn basic conversational Spanish with instructor Dan Duffy. This class is for those who know little or no Spanish.
- The Age of Henry VIII lecture series will start at 2:00 p.m.
- Spanish Reading Group meets from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This group is for students who have participated in the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning to intermediate level, and consists of Spanish storytelling, translation and pronunciation and grammar. This class is taught by Dan Duffy. For more information, contact Senor Duffy at Spanishfaculty@gmail.com.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.