June is National Safety Month. Tropical storms and hurricanes produce strong winds that push sea water onshore creating devastating storm surge. Stay safe this storm season by “knowing your zone.” Hurricane evacuation zones are classified using letters A through E. The 2017 evacuation zone map is currently available online. Residents and visitors can learn about storm surge and hurricane evacuation zones by visiting the “All Hazards” page on Sarasota County’s website at www.scgov.net by looking under Emergency Services. Once there click on the “Evacuation Zones” tab. You can then type in your home address in the search box to find which evacuation zone you are in.
Sarasota County staff will be presenting a Flood Zone Workshop on Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. at Elsie Quirk Library. This will be an informative presentation followed by time for your questions and answers. You will learn about many County resources and receive simple explanations that will help you to understand flood zones, risks, maps, storm surge maps, why and when there are map and insurance changes, what are the special regulations, what is a Base Flood Elevation, the 100 year flood event term, and “Do I need an Elevation Certificate?”. For more information about this workshop please contact Desiree Companion, Sarasota County’s Community Rating System Coordinator and Certified Floodplain Manager at (941) 861-0802.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- Sarasota County Neighborhood Grant Workshop at 10:00 a.m. This workshop will present an overview of Sarasota County’s Neighborhood Initiative Grant Program (NIGP) process and application. Through the NIGP, neighborhoods may seek up to $10,000 in matching funds from Sarasota County, to apply toward neighborhood improvement projects. Attendance at this workshop satisfies the mandatory workshop requirement for grant applicants. An RSVP for this workshop is required at least 24 hours in advance. RSVP to: Miranda Lansdale, 941-861-5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. In tonight’s film, Author L. Travers reflects on her childhood after reluctantly meeting with Walt Disney, who seeks to adapt her Mary Poppins books for the big screen. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 5 mins.)
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Sarasota County Flood Zone Workshop at 10:00 a.m. This workshop is for anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes: especially residents, professional lenders, insurance agents and realtors.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Reclaiming Your Yard from Mosquitos 10:00 a.m. Learn about the lifecycle of mosquitos found in Florida and learn what you can do to reduce mosquito breeding sites around your home. Register online at eventbrite.com to reserve your spot to attend.
- LEGO Club meets 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and the 3rd Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Englewood Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Summer Learning Program Kick-off! 10:30 a.m. Pick up your summer learning log. Enjoy face painting, balloon animals, music and fun. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood MAC Users i-Devices Group meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Teen Volunteer Orientation at 2:00 p.m. For ages 14-18 (high school students). New and current teen volunteers are required to attend. Learn about your role, participate in training, and sign up for specific dates. Register online.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.