You can help “Build a Better World” this summer by attending the Green Living Workshop this Tuesday, June 27th, at Elsie Quirk Library. The workshop begins at 10:30 a.m. and takes place in the upstairs meeting room. Sara Kane with Sarasota County’s UF/IFAS Extension and Sustainability unit will introduce ideas for energy and water savings, waste reduction, and more, as well as provide community resources to help you and your family. Simple steps to green living are as easy as turning off lights and appliances when you leave your home, using Energy Star rated products, reusing items whenever possible, donating unused items to local charities, landscaping your yard with native or drought-tolerant plants, and walking, biking, carpooling or riding the bus to help reduce fuel use. For more ideas on ways to reduce your environmental footprint, start by attending the Green Living Workshop and visit www.scgov.net/sustainablity to get you and your family started on the road to sustainable living.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Bilingual/Spanish Story Time at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3-11. Join library volunteer Lourdes Fuller as she leads this fun, interactive time. Learn and practice your numbers, and enjoy songs and stories. Everyone welcome.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. In tonight’s film, as Cecil Gaines serves eight presidents during his tenure as a butler at the White House, the civil rights movement, Vietnam, and other major events affect this man’s life, family, and American society. (PG-13, 2 hrs, 12 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Green Living Workshop at 10:30 a.m. Get started on the road to sustainable living.
- Reading Buddies 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. for ages 5-9. Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- Englewood Camera Club Summer Shutterbugs meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Monsters of the Deep at 1:30 p.m. For ages 7-13 (parents welcome). Explore marine environments and dramatic storytelling in this creative workshop inspired by Jules Verne’s classic “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”. Become a marine researcher. Encounter creatures – real or mythological, and study their unique features. Learn how to represent the creature in movement, art, and music. Presented by Asolo Repertory Theater. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
- Artists in the Libraries: Feel the Beat Interactive Drum Circle at 1:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Artist Scott Blum will lead this interactive session. Explore sounds, rhythms, and percussion instruments. Learn the basics of Afro-Cuban drumming in a fun, energetic and entertaining way. Registration is required and is limited to 30 participants. Sponsored by the Library Foundation for Sarasota County.
- Minecraft Club at 3:30 p.m. For ages 7- Unleash your imagination as you play Minecraft on the Xbox (360 Edition). Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners.
- Edgar Cayce A.R.E. Enlightenment Book Club meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Dolphins”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Yoga with Heather at 2:00 p.m. For ages 9-18. Come and join Heather for a brief introduction to yoga, simple poses, breathing, and meditation techniques. Bring your own mat if you have one. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.