Did you know that World Juggling Day is Saturday, June 17th? We’ve decided to celebrate World Juggling Day at the library this week and you’re invited! Children and families are welcome to attend the “Out of My Hands Juggling and Illusion Show” on Wednesday, June 21st at 1:30 p.m. at Elsie Quirk Library. Performer Gerard Tricarico will thrill and amaze the crowd with this high energy, interactive juggling and magical illusion show. The show is expertly choreographed with music and special lighting effects. This is sure to be an enjoyable time for everyone. This free program is made possible by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. As a bonus for attending the program children can check off one of the “Attend a Library Program” activity squares on their Build a Better World Summer Learning Log. After they complete 10 activities listed on the log they will be able to choose a prize. So don’t drop the ball visit the library this week for some summer fun!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Tech Time: One on One Help with Chakrit at 10:00 a.m. Technology Volunteer, Chakrit, will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Book a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Build It! Workshop 10:30 a.m. – 12 noon. For families. Invent, create, build, stack, and play at this interactive program. Test your engineering skills. The library will provide all the things you will need to make unique structures, including bridges, towers, marble runs, and more.
- LEGO Club meets at 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and the 3rd Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place in Dallas in 1985, where electrician and hustler Ron Woodroof works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medication they need after he is diagnosed with the disease. (Rated R, 1 hr., 57 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Smoothie Making 101 at 10:30 a.m. Ever wonder what fruits and veggies make the best smoothies? What ingredients go together and what will they do for your overall health? Join Certified Health Coach, Shelley Kohagen for a hands-on smoothie making class. You will leave the program with several recipes and ideas to create your own favorite drink. Registration is required and limited to 20 adults.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Build It! Workshop 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. For families. Invent, create, build, stack, and play at this interactive program. Test your engineering skills. The library will provide all the things you will need to make unique structures, including bridges, towers, marble runs, and more.
- Out of My Hands Juggling and Illusion Show at 1:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Enjoy a high energy, interactive juggling and illusion show with music and light effects. Sponsored by The Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11 through 18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Eckankar Group meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Teen Game Night is 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm and open to all youth ages 9 through 18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Full Moon”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Apples to Apples Game Day at 2:00 p.m. For ages 9-18. Join the fun and invite your friends to play this wild card game with other teens.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.