Research shows that kids who use the library and who are read to at home do better in school. Visiting the library fosters your child’s curiosity and innate desire to learn, since there are books and resources on every topic they can imagine. Summertime is a great time to visit and explore the library. To help children keep up their reading skills during the summer they are invited to participate in the Reading Buddies program at Elsie Quirk Library. This hour-long program takes place every Tuesday morning starting at 10:45 a.m. Children will be partnered with a volunteer reading buddy. Volunteers are not trained experts but they will listen, encourage, and offer reading assistance when needed. Reading Buddies have fun while reading together and also play engaging reading games and activities. Registration is not required. This free program is open to children ages 5-9 years old. Make practicing your reading skills fun this summer by reading with a buddy!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Group – Long Writers meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Build It! Workshop 10:30 a.m. – 12 noon. For families. Invent, create, build, stack, and play at this interactive program. Test your engineering skills. The library will provide all the things you will need to make unique structures, including bridges, towers, marble runs, and more.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 3:00 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- OWOW Writers Group meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. After a near-fatal plane crash during World War II, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a 47 harrowing days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he’s caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. (PG-13, 2hrs. 17min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- One Book One Community Film Program at 10:15 a.m. This documentary details the true story of a group of working-class boys from the University of Washington who ultimately defeated the most talented rowing teams at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. This documentary is the story-behind-the-story from Daniel James Brown’s “The Boys in the Boat”.
- Reading Buddies 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. for ages 5-9. Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy.
- Englewood Camera Club – Summer Shutterbugs meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Athena Wit and Wisdom meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Veggie Art Faces at 1:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Children will create a hands-on, temporary art project and sample healthy produce. Presented by UF/IFAS Sarasota County. Registration is required and limited to 30 children. Sponsored by The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “When I Grow Up”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10:00 a.m.
- T-Shirt Bag Craft for Teens and Tweens at 2:00 p.m. For ages 9-18. Learn how to make a simple, no-sew T-shirt bag. Register online. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants. Participants are asked to bring their own T-shirt. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.