Happy New Year! If you got a new tablet or mobile device under the tree for Christmas and need help navigating all that it can do, you can bring it to the library for a Tech Time: One on One help with a Librarian session.
On Thursday, January 11, one of the Reference Librarians at Elsie Quirk Library will be available for one on one technology help from 10 a.m. to noon. They can demonstrate how to download e-books from Overdrive and Cloud Library, help with computer basics, or answer general questions about your mobile device.
Space is limited so you will need to sign-up. You can do that by calling the Reference desk at 941-861-1207 to make a reservation. Can’t make it on January 11? Don’t worry these sessions are on-going and will be offered on Thursday mornings throughout the month.
Find Your Tech Help at the Library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- OWOW Writers Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to certified pet therapy dogs from the Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film: After John Nash, a brilliant but asocial mathematician, accepts secret work in cryptography, his life takes a turn for the nightmarish. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 15 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English. Class meets once a week. Señor Dan Duffy will be teaching from the book “English for the Spanish Speaker” book 4, by Kathleen Fisher; Fisher Hill Publishers 5th ed., (2009)
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10 a.m.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Midwest SIG meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Athena Wisdom and Wit Group meets at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Europe SIG meets at 2 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead! at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Explore fundamental concepts of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Fun, engaging, hands on learning. Special guest, local author/illustrator Diane Worthen will read her new book, and answer questions about the writing/illustrating process. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- Teen Anime Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Interested in anime? Come to the Teen Anime Club where each month we will watch a different anime film or series, and afterwards discuss. Ages 11-18. Contact the library for film titles.
- The Great Depression, Causes and Cures at 10 a.m. Join moderator, John Regan for engaging, thought-provoking discussions on The Great Depression. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian at 10 a.m.
- Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. January’s selection: “The Silver Dish” by Saul Bellow pg. 539
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Opposites”.
- Englewood Mac Users Group – iDevices SIG meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Board meets at 4 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a class for those who know little or no Spanish. It is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language. The participants will use the book “Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day” by Kristine Kershul, which can be purchased at local bookstores and online. Registration is required and limited to 50 participants.
- Spanish Reading Group at 3 p.m. This class is for those who have taken the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning/intermediate level, and consists of Spanish stories, translating them, and working on pronunciation and grammar. To attend, please contact Señor Dan by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.