Join us Wednesday at 6 pm for an evening of Celtic music performed by the Celtic Cracked Walnuts. Their performance of the Celtic Voyage features stories, humor, and songs of Ireland and Scotland. This husband-wife duo has an eclectic variety of instruments that they will be demonstrating such as the guitar, banjo, bodhran, washboard, penny whistle and concertina. This fun-filled performance is definitely one to not be missed! This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library.
• All Sarasota County Libraries are open regular business hours.
• All Sarasota County Library branches and County offices will be closed in observance of the New Year’s holiday.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
• Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
• Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:30 pm. Join this group of individuals who are all working together to better understand computers. This group meets the first and third Tuesday of the month. For more information, email OurECC@comcast.net.
• Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – Science is from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Explore science as you learn scientific principles that are part of our everyday life through hands-on fun! Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
• The French Conversation Club meets at 10 am.
• The Englewood Genealogy Society meets at 10 am.
• The Lego Club meets from 6 to 7:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the first Wednesday in the evening and the third Saturday in the afternoon from 1:30 to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
• The Celtic Cracked Walnuts will perform starting at 6 pm.
• Great Books Discussion Group meets the 1st Thursday of the month, November through April at 10:15 am. This group will be reading selections from the Great Books Foundation’s, “Great Conversations” books 2 and 4. A copy is available at the Reference Desk to use in-house. January’s discussion will be, “Meno” by Plato.
• Family Storytime starts at 10:30 am and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that include books, music and movement, crafts and other educational activities. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, Take Your Teddy to the Movies! Bring your teddy bear along so you can both enjoy the show.
• Englewood Area Macintosh User’s Group (EAMUG) meets from 1:30 pm to 4 pm. The members contribute to the organization which is rich in Apple basics as well as advanced computer techniques. Annual individual membership is $12.00. Family membership is $18.00. EAMUG is an Official Apple User Group. All are welcome regardless of paid membership status.
• The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 to 3 pm.
• The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library monthly board meeting will be at 4 pm.
• Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners will meet from 11:30 am to 1 pm. Learn basic conversational Spanish with instructor Dan Duffy. This class is for those who know little or no Spanish. Registration is required and limited to 50 participants. Register at https://www.scgov.net/library for this free class that meets through April.
• Spanish Reading Group meets from 3 to 4:30 pm. This group is for students who have participated in the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning to intermediate level, and consists of Spanish storytelling, translation and pronunciation and grammar. This class is taught by Dan Duffy. For more information, contact Senor Duffy at Spanishfaculty@gmail.com.
• SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) will be on site from 3:30 to 5:30 pm to assist with Medicare questions. SHINE counselors are unbiased, specially trained volunteers who can assist with questions regarding Medicare Part A & B, Prescription Drug Plans and Advantage Plans. If you would like to make an appointment to see a SHINE counselor, please contact the Area Agency on Aging at 866-413-5337.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.