If you haven’t heard, Elsie Quirk Library has a beautiful reading garden thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. Now that cooler weather has arrived, this is the perfect time to visit the library and enjoy the garden.
The Golden Reading Garden was funded and built by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library to commemorate the library’s 50th anniversary. It has a lovely brick paver path that winds around the northwest portion of the library property. Along the path are numerous plants, flowers and trees that are maintained by the Friends Garden Committee volunteers. There are benches and a gazebo for folks to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
If you are looking for a unique gift for that person who has everything or would like to honor or memorialize a loved one, consider purchasing a personalized paver brick for the garden pathway. Each brick may include up to three engraved lines of your special sentiment and will be placed as a forever memory in the Golden Reading Garden. Paver bricks are $75.00 each and may be purchased in the Friends Bookstore located at the entrance of the library.
Proceeds from paver brick sales helps the Friends to enhance the programs, collections and operations of the library that are not provided for in the library’s regular budget. For more information please visit the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Bookstore or online at friendsofelsiequirk.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- WORD 2013 for Beginners at 10:15 a.m. This class introduces the basics of word processing using Microsoft Word 2013 software, including: creating a document, editing, and saving. We’ll also cover how to check spelling and grammar, setting fonts and colors, margins, and other features necessary for a finished document such as inserting photos. Limit 10 participants. Please bring your laptop with Microsoft Word 2013 already installed. Basic computer knowledge is required.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:30 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- OWOW Writers Group meets at 2 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to certified pet therapy dogs from the Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the U.S.- flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in 200 years. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 14 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Athena: Wisdom and Wit meets at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M Ahead! at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Explore fundamental concepts of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Fun, engaging, hands on learning. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- Teen Anime Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Interested in anime? Come to the Teen Anime Club where each month we will watch a different anime film or series, and afterwards discuss. Ages 11-18. Contact the library for film titles.
- Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. Readings will be from “The Best American Short Stories of the Century” edited by John Updike. Today’s discussion: “The Christmas Gift” by R.P. Warren pg. 169 and “Blood-Burning Moon” by Jean Toomer pg. 60
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “”.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Europe SIG meets at 2 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 11 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
- African Safari at 2 p.m. Join Bob and Kim Yantorno as they share highlights from their travels through Africa. Bob and Kim are nature lovers and have spent their vacations searching for places where they could observe nature, especially animals. Their African Safari was the trip of a lifetime. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 3:30 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.