Hablas español? Would you like to learn? Señor Dan Duffy is returning again this winter to provide FREE Spanish classes at the Elsie Quirk Library. Registration is now open, and classes take place on Fridays from January through April.
For beginners, Señor Dan will teach a “Basic Conversational Spanish” class from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Fridays. This is a class for those who know little or no Spanish. It is a beginner’s class for developing basic communication skills in the language. The participants will use the book “Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day” by Kristine Kershul, which can be purchased at local bookstores and online. Space is limited and registration is required, so to take advantage of this great opportunity, register online at scgov.net/library click on Library Calendar.
For those who have already completed the Basic Conversational class, or who can already read/speak basic Spanish, and would like to practice their skills, an Intermediate Spanish Reading Group is offered from 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. on Friday afternoons. To register for this class, please email Señor Dan directly at email@example.com.
Finally, Señor Dan will teach an English Class for Spanish Speakers from 5:30 p.m.- 7 p.m. on Monday evenings. (Gratis clase de Inglés para hispanohablantes. Lunes a la noche). This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills in speaking and understanding English, with emphasis on pronunciation. Registration is not required. Para más información: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Reunion SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place during the Cold War when an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the C.I.A. facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 22 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Englewood Shell Club meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1 p.m.
- Venice Florida Corvette Club meets at 5:30 p.m.
- Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Board of Directors meets at 4 p.m.
- iPads for Beginners at 10 a.m. Learn hands on iPad basics, internet browsing, downloading apps, how to take a photo and more! iPads are available for participants to use. If you bring your own iPad you will need an Apple ID. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Great Books Discussion meets at 10:15 a.m. December’s selection: “Where I Lived” by Thoreau from Great Conversations 4
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Artic Animals”.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 11 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.