The holiday fun continues! Join us today at 10:30 am for our “Holiday Read & Sing-Along.” Meet special guest, author Becky Barbier as she reads her new book, The Santa Invasion and then will lead us in a festive holiday sing-along. This event is open to children ages 3 through 11 and their families. On Wednesday, we have a holiday event for the ‘tween and teens. Youth, ages 11 through 18 are invited to our Teen Holiday Movie with snacks and fun starting at 5:30 pm. Buddy was a baby in an orphanage who stowed away in Santa’s sack and ended up at the North Pole. Later, as an adult human who happened to be raised by elves, Santa allows him to go to New York City to find his birth father. (Comedy, PG, 1 hr., 37 mins.).
Several other SCL branches will be hosting holiday events this week. Just a few of these exciting programs are as follows:
- Monday, December 19 at 11:00 am at the Gulf Gate Library is a Holiday Orchestral Concert, sponsored by Friends of the Gulf Gate Library, the Church of the Palms and Out of Door Academy. The orchestra is multi-generational, made up of musicians, ages 4 through 84. Professionals and beginners join in to help each other make fantastic music. The littlest violinists play pieces from the Suzuki Repertoire, and the advanced players will treat us to solos and ensembles. The adult orchestra members are a mixed group of music educators and professional musicians from the Sarasota Pops, Opera Orchestra or Sarasota Symphony. They will play music from around the world, including festive holiday music. All are welcome.
- Monday, December 19 at 5:30 pm at the Gulf Gate Library is a ‘Tween Movie & Holiday Craft Fun!
- Tuesday, December 20 between 10:30 am and 7:30 pm at Selby is Drop-in Holiday Card Fun! All ages are welcome to attend and enjoy creative card making for friends and family.
- Wednesday, December 21 at 2 pm is the Annual Venice Public Library Holiday Concert. A selection of traditional holiday songs with soprano Amanda Mendon will be presented. The concert is free but space is limited and reservations are required.
- Wednesday, December 21 at 2:30 pm at the Selby Library is a repeat performance of a Holiday Orchestral Concert.
- Thursday, December 22 from 6 to 8 pm at the Jacaranda Library is a Holiday Family Movie Night for all ages. Light snacks will be provided.
Please visit www.scgov.net/libraries and click on “calendar” for a complete schedule of upcoming activities being held at Sarasota County Library branches.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- Introduction to YouTube, Facebook, and Google Search will be held at 10 am. This class introduces the basics of how to conduct a YouTube video search and Google searches as well as how to play YouTube videos and access a variety of controls. Learn how to create a Facebook account as you add friends, comment on posts and pictures, and chat with Facebook friends.
- The Suncoast Writers Guild will meet at 10 am.
- Holiday Read & Sing-along starts at 10:30 am and is open to children ages 3 through 11 and their families. No registration necessary.
- The Lego Club meets from 1:30 to 3:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the third Saturday in the afternoon and on the first Wednesday from 6 to 7:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play will return in January.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5 pm. Guinevere Pettigrew, a middle-aged London governess, finds herself unfairly dismissed from her job. As she attempt to gain new employment, she is catapulted into the glamorous world and dizzying social whirl as she tries to assist an American actress to get the part. (Comedy, PG-13, 1 hr, 32 mins., 2008)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- iPads for Beginners: Part 2 starts at 10 am. This class is the continuation of the iPads for Beginners: Part 2 class. Topics will include using email, organizing apps, and how to access and download Sarasota County Library eBooks. iPads are available or you may bring your own. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:30 pm. Join this group of individuals who are all working together to better understand computers. This group meets the first and third Tuesday of the month. For more information, email OurECC@comcast.net.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead-Art is from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Experience art using a variety of techniques as we focus on classic artists and their preferred artistic method. Create a masterpiece as you experience hands on fun! Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
- The French Conversation Club meets at 10 am.
- Teen Holiday Movie with snacks and fun will start at 5:30 pm. Youth, ages 11 through 18 are invited.
- The Englewood Chapter of the American Chronic Pain Association meets from 6 pm to 7:30 pm. This group assists to facilitate peer support and education for individuals and their families who experience chronic pain.
- Family Storytime returns in January.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 to 3 pm.
- All Sarasota County Library branches and County offices will be closed in observance of the holidays. We will re-open on Tuesday, December 27th at 10 am.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.