Need to escape the holiday hustle and bustle? Stop by the Elsie Quirk Library on Monday, December 18 at 5 p.m. to relax and enjoy a free movie on our big screen.
This week’s feature film is an action and adventure story based on a novel by Dan Brown. It stars Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones and is directed by Ron Howard. It is about famous symbologist, Robert Langdon as he follows a trail of clues, tied to Dante, the medieval poet. When Langdon wakes up in an Italian hospital with amnesia, he teams up with Dr. Sienna Brooks, who he hopes will help him recover his memories. Together, they race across Europe, against the clock, to stop a madman from unleashing a global virus that would wipe out half of the world’s population. This film is rated PG-13 and runs for 2 hours.
The Sarasota County Public Libraries will be closed for the Christmas holiday on Friday, December 22, Saturday, December 23 and Monday, December 25. The library will re-open with regular hours on Tuesday, December 26 at 10 a.m.
The physical library may be closed for a few days over the holiday season, but don’t forget that you can access lots of library resources online 24 hours a day 7 days a week with your Sarasota County library card.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 10 a.m.
- Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Reunion SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Wireless Laptops for Beginners at 10 a.m. Bring your Windows laptop and learn hands-on how to navigate to Internet addresses, what the left and right mouse click/touch pad does, how to save to a memory stick/flash drive, how to make and save a document, how to organize files and photos into folders.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Friends of Englewood Archives meets at 11:30 a.m.
- Eckankar meets at 6 p.m.
- iPads for Beginners Part 2 at 10 a.m. This class builds on iPads for Beginners Part 1. Topics will include using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, and how to download Sarasota County Library ebooks. iPads are available to use, or bring your own (you will need an Apple ID). Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Reading Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. They will be discussing the book “Beneath the Marble Sky” by John Shors.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Holiday Fun”.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- All Sarasota County Libraries and government offices are closed today for the Christmas holiday.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.