September brings the return of several wonderful library programs such as Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play on Monday mornings and our Family Storytime on Thursdays but we will also be starting several new programs to look out for.
Starting September 1, we will be offering the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program. This program is open to children ages birth to 5 and will prepare your child for Kindergarten by reading 1,000 books together. Stop by the Elsie Quirk Youth Services desk to register and pick up your reading log. Each time you read a book together, fill in a circle on your log. Each time you and your child read 25 books, you can bring the log in for a sticker and for every 100 books, your child will receive a small prize. At 1,000 books you will get a certificate, a final prize and the priceless treasure of a child who is ready for school! If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. Reading to infants, toddlers and preschoolers has been proven to benefit brain development and promote a lifelong interest in reading. Come on in and get started today!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Listen & Learn Spanish Storytime starts at 10:30 am and is open to children ages 3 through 11. Join volunteer Lourdes Fuller for a fun time with bilingual stories, songs and activities. Everyone welcome!
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play returns September 12.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5 pm. This week we will be showing the story of the life and career of the legendary rhythm and blues musician Ray Charles, from his humble beginnings in the South, where he went blind at age seven, to his meteoric rise to stardom during the 1950s and 1960s. (Drama, PG-13, 2 hrs, 32 mins., 2004)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Edgar Cayce Book Discussion starts at 6 pm.
- Pioneer Days Committee Meeting starts at 6 pm. Anyone interested in volunteering for the upcoming event is encouraged to attend. For more information, please email email@example.com or visit englewoodpioneerdays.com
- Family Storytime will return on September 8.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- Englewood Area Macintosh User’s Group (EAMUG) meets from 1:30 pm to 4 pm. The members contribute to the organization which is rich in Apple basics as well as advanced computer techniques. Annual individual membership is $12.00. Family membership is $18.00. EAMUG is an Official Apple User Group. All are welcome regardless of paid membership status.
Upcoming Events: Please visit the Sarasota County Library booth at the Englewood Pioneer Days Festival at Pioneer Park on Sunday, September 4, from 12 pm to 8 pm and Monday, September 5, from 8 am to 3 pm.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.