Students are back to school and getting back into their daily routines. Inevitably homework will most likely be part of those routines. If you get stuck and need some help there’s no need to worry, homework help is available 24/7 at the library! Sarasota County Libraries offer a wide variety of online resources that are available for use in the library and from home. All you need is an internet enabled device and your Sarasota County Library Card.
If you’re in need of an encyclopedia to complete homework assignments or just looking for information, try World Book Online. It is a suite of online research tools that includes encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio and video, complemented by current periodicals and related websites. World Book Online includes Early World of Learning for young learners, World Book Kids, World Book Student, Advanced, World Book Classroom – Dramatic Learning, and Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos for young Spanish speakers and beginning Spanish students.
The Florida Electronic Library is another online resource that provides access to electronic magazines, newspapers, almanacs, encyclopedias and books. The K-12 resources available are homework help galore! It offers a wide array of reliable, easy to use online resources for elementary, middle and high school students.
If you prefer a more personal approach you can chat, text or email a Florida librarian for research help through the Ask a Librarian service. Ask a Librarian is a human search engine that provides Florida residents with virtual reference service via live chat and text messaging 10 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Email is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and will be answered by local librarians during regular business hours. Ask a Librarian is administered by the Tampa Bay Library Consortium.
To view all Sarasota County Library online resources that are available, visit our website at scgov.net, click the Find Your Library link, then Library Resources. Sit back and relax, we’ve got the answers to questions you didn’t even know to ask, at the library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 3 p.m.
- The Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is about a young woman, born at the turn of the century, who is rendered ageless after an accident. After many solitary years, she meets a man who complicates the eternal life she has settled into. (PG-13, 1hr. 52min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 6 p.m.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.