If you’re still looking for something to do this summer, consider joining the Adult Summer Reading Book Discussion at the library. The next book discussion will be Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. You are invited to join Librarian, Alyssa Lopez for a discussion of the book, “A Spool of Blue Thread” by Anne Tyler. This heartwarming novel relates the story of four generations of the Whitshank family, their lives unfolding in and around the sprawling Baltimore house that has always been their anchor, sharing their tender moments, celebrations, disappointments, and long-held secrets. The book’s timeline moves back and forth with overlapping stories of humor and heart, just like thread on a spool. There’s still time to visit the library to find a copy to read before the discussion.
Do you really enjoy book discussions? Try hosting your own! The library has just the right tools to help you plan your own discussion. The Sarasota County Library System has over 200 Book Club Bags available for checkout. Book Club Bags are a book discussion in a bag. Each bag contains ten copies of a single title, an author biography, discussion questions, and a list of suggested reading. Bags can be checked out for 8 weeks. We have Book Club Bags for juvenile, young adult and adult readers. To view the titles that are available go to the Sarasota County Libraries’ website at scgov.net click on “Find Your Library”, then “Catalog”, then “Book Club Bags”. Once you make your selection the next steps will be to gather a few friends, read the book and enjoy the discussion!
The Friends of Elsie Quirk Library book discussion groups, Great Books, Short Story Group, and Reading Discussion Group will resume on Thursday mornings starting in November. Watch the library calendar for all of the discussion dates, times and titles for each of these groups.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Android Phone Basics for Beginners at 10:00 a.m. Bring your Android phone and learn hands on basics, internet browsing, downloading apps, eBooks, and more! Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Suncoast Writers Group – Long Writers meets at 10:30 a.m.
- OWOW Writers Group meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. The program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interaction.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. Tonight’s film is the true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core. (R, 2hrs. 8min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Reading Buddies 10:45 a.m. For ages 5-9. Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy.
- Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 5:30 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets at 5:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11-18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Eckankar meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Teen Game Night takes place at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all youth ages 9-18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Adult Summer Reading Book Discussion at 10:30 a.m. Join Librarian, Alyssa Lopez for a discussion of the book, “A Spool of Blue Thread” by Anne Tyler.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10:00 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.