The Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Bookstore volunteers have been very busy the past few weeks reorganizing and refreshing the bookstore with lots of newly donated materials. The Library and Friends Bookstore always welcomes donations of books and media materials in good shelf ready condition. Here is a sample of accepted items:
- Hardcover fiction in good condition published within 10 years or less
- Hardcover non-fiction in good condition published within 10 years or less
- Paperback fiction
- Children’s books
- CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays
- Puzzles with all pieces
You’re sure to find unique treasures for a steal, and you can be sure the money is going to a great cause. Funds raised by The Friends of the Library directly support the library. They are used for library materials, equipment, and programs for children, teens, and adults throughout the year. Much of what we do here could not happen without the generous support of our Friends group, and we truly appreciate them!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Tech Time: One on One Help with Chakrit 10:00 a.m. Technology Volunteer, Chakrit, will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Book a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- LEGO Club meets at 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday from 6 pm to 7:30 pm and the 3rd Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am or 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In this week’s film a young man who survives a disaster at sea is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an unexpected connection with another survivor: a fearsome Bengal tiger. (Rated PG, 127 min., 2012)
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead –SCIENCE. For ages 5-11 at 3:30 p.m. Explore science—learn about scientific principles that are a part of our everyday life. Awesome, exciting, hands-on fun. This program will be on the first Tuesday of each month. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Pioneer Days Parade Team meets at 6:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Let’s Count”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Area MAC Users Group meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 2:00 p.m. A member from the Elsie Quirk Library Reference Team will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30 minute session by calling 941-861-1207 or register at the Reference Desk.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.