The Elsie Quirk Library has been very busy. Sarasota County sees an increase during the winter months of 80,000 people and attendance at library programs and utilization of library services certainly reflect that. The American Library Association reports some interesting statistics that undoubtedly prove that public libraries are very active. Americans visit a library more than three times as often as they go to the movies. Did you know that there are more public libraries than Starbucks in the U.S.? Information compiled in January, found that there were 96.5 million attendees annually at public library programs, more than all Major League Baseball and NBA games combined. Many library customers would agree that access to their public library equals opportunity. Public libraries provide Wi-Fi and access to computers free of charge, assistance with learning technology skills, and summer reading programs for all ages. Elsie Quirk and other Sarasota County Library branches also partner with area organizations to provide on-site health care, the summer lunch program, and tax preparation.
One more service that Elsie Quirk is adding to their weekly line-up is Tech Time which offers one-on-one help with a librarian. This weekly opportunity will be offered on Thursdays at 2:00 p.m. Members of the Reference Team will be available for 30-minute sessions to assist with eBooks, computer basics, and questions about your electronic device. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 941-861-1207. Please stop by the library to pick-up an April calendar listing other technology instruction opportunities such as Wireless Laptops for Beginners, iPhones for Beginners, and iPads for Beginners.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Great Decisions starts at 10:00 a.m. This is America’s largest discussion series on world affairs. Attendees are asked to read each session’s selected Great Decisions topic before attending. This week’s topic is Afghanistan and Pakistan. The book can be purchased at the Friends bookstore for $23 each.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play is a free class for caregivers and children ages birth to 5 to enjoy together and is held from 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 11:15 a.m. to noon. Experience educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5:00 p.m. While on a trip to Paris with his fiancée’s family, a nostalgic screenwriter finds himself mysteriously visiting the 1920s every evening at midnight. (Romance, PG-13, 1 hr. 34 mins.) (2011)
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes starts at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills. Students should be able to speak some basic English.
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10:00 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Join the Englewood Computer Club at 1:00 p.m., as they work together to better understand computers. For more information, email OurEDD@comcast.net.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead-Science is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
- The Lego Club meets from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the first Wednesday and 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the third Saturday.
- The Great Books Discussion Group meets the first Thursday of each month through April at 10:15 a.m. This group will be reading selections from the Great Books Foundation’s Great Conversations 2 and 4. A copy of the book is available at the Elsie Quirk Library’s Reference desk. This month’s discussion is, “The Chilean Earthquake”.
- Family Storytime starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, In the Junlge.
- Englewood Area Mac Users Group meets at 1:00 p.m.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Tech Time starts at 2:00 p.m. and is offered by appointment. A member from the Reference Team will be available for help with eBooks, computer basics, and questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minte session by calling 941-861-1207 or by visiting the Reference Desk in-person.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners will meet from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Learn basic conversational Spanish with instructor Dan Duffy. This class is for those who know little or no Spanish.
- The Age of Henry VIII lecture series will start at 2:00 p.m.
- Spanish Reading Group meets from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This group is for students who have participated in the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning to intermediate level, and consists of Spanish storytelling, translation and pronunciation and grammar. This class is taught by Dan Duffy. For more information, contact Senor Duffy at Spanishfaculty@gmail.com.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.