If you’ve been to the Elsie Quirk Library recently you may have noticed that some changes have been made to the self-checkout computers. An upgrade was performed in October that changed the look of the software. The basic functionality is the same but it is now more user friendly. One of the enhancements made is that patrons now have the option of having their checkout receipt sent to their email address instead of printing it out. If you have shared your email address with us, this option will automatically display when you checkout your library materials. We will also send a Courtesy Notice to your email address three days before your checked out items are due to remind you of the due date. If you place an item on hold we can also notify you when it’s ready for pick up via email too. On your next visit to the library, please take a moment to share your email address with us so that you can take advantage of these options. You can also access your library account online at www.scgov.net/library and click on My Account. From there you can modify your personal info and add in your email address. The last step is to click submit to begin receiving email receipts and notices from the library.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- The Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 a.m. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. In tonight’s film a sixteen year old girl in a small town in Minnesota becomes unexpectedly pregnant by a guy pal, she decides to give her baby to the “perfect” couple she locates from the classified ads, only to discover the impending adoption is pushing them towards divorce and causing her to fall in love with the biological father of the child. (PG-13, Comedy, 1hr 36min)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Men’s Garden Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- The Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – CODING. For ages 5-7 at 3:30 p.m. Learn how to code using Scratch jr. Participants will use the library iPads to learn about this basic digital skill. *(For ages 5-7 only). Registration is limited to 12 participants. Children should register once for all sessions
- French Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Athena Wit and Wisdom Group meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Dinosaurs”.
- Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 am to discuss “Where Are You Going” by J.C. Oates and “City of Churches” by D. Barthelme.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- All Sarasota County Government Offices and Libraries will be closed in observance of Veterans Day.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.