Use your building skills to “Build a Better World” this summer at the LEGO Club and Build It! programs at Elsie Quirk Library. These interactive programs are designed to encourage creativity and inspire teamwork and collaboration. The LEGO Club meets each month on the 1st Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. and the 3rd Saturday at 1:30 p.m. and is open to children ages 5 and up. Come and share your creative genius and build a masterpiece with the thousands of LEGO bricks and accessories here at the library. Once you’ve finished your LEGO creation it will be prominently displayed in the Youth Room until the next meeting for all to enjoy. While you’re in the building mood you can further your artistic abilities on Tuesday, July 18th at the Build It! Workshop at 1:30 p.m. The Build It! Workshop is open to children and families and provides an opportunity for you to demonstrate and hone your engineering skills. The library will provide all the things you will need to make unique structures, including bridges, towers, marble runs, and more. Unleash your imagination at the library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Southwest Florida Fossil Society meets at 1:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club meets at 1:30 p.m. For ages 5 and up. No registration necessary.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- Gulf Beach Homeschoolers meets at 12:00 p.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. On the occasion of his 5th wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne reports that his wife, Amy has gone missing. Under pressure from police and growing media frenzy, Nick’s portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question. Did Nick Dunne kill his wife? (R, 2 hrs. 29 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Reading Buddies 10:45 a.m. For ages 5-9. Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy.
- Build It! Workshop 1:30 p.m. For families. Invent, create, build, stack, and play at this interactive program.
- Under the Sea at 1:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Take a pretend dive to the coral reef and enjoy a variety of ocean related activities.
- Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 5:30 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets at 5:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11-18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Teen Game Night takes place at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all youth ages 9-18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Eckankar meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages 0-5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Under the Sea”.
- Adult Summer Reading Book Discussion at 10:30 a.m. Join the discussion of Gabrielle Zevin’s book “The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry”. When his most prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, is stolen, bookstore owner A. J. Fikry begins to isolate himself from his friends, family and associates before receiving a mysterious package that compels him to remake his life.
- Gulf Beach Homeschoolers meets at 12:00 p.m.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 3:30 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Shrinky Dink Creations at 2:00 p.m. For teens and tweens ages 9-18. Design and create your own retro Shrinky Dink creations. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants. Sponsored by The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net/library.