Film buffs, students and educators will enjoy a new addition to the Sarasota County Libraries web resources, “World Cinema Collection” from Access Video on Demand. It contains nearly 500 feature films which include the best of the silent era, groundbreaking international directors, American and European masterpieces from the mid-20th century, and award-winning contemporary films. Through this film collection, you can take a glimpse into the cultures and issues of countries around the world.
To access world-class documentaries, award-winning educational films and helpful instructional videos, log on to www.scgov.net and click on Research Help and More then on Access Video on Demand. All you need is your Sarasota County library card and Wi-Fi to start streaming at home or on-the-go from your PC, smartphone or tablet!
Don’t forget about the Monday Night Movies at Elsie Quirk Library. Every Monday night we show a full-length feature film on our big screen. For the month of July we will be showing popular films from 2014. Monday Night Movies start at 5:00 p.m. and all are welcome to attend. Stop by the library today to pick up a calendar of events with movie titles.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Artists in the Library: Mixed Media Found Object Jewelry at 1:00 p.m. Instructor Ellen Goldberg will help participants create necklaces and focal pieces from recyclable and natural materials. Registration is required and limited to 12 adult participants.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:05 a.m. OR 11:00 a.m. For children up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 p.m. Tonight’s film is a look at the relationship between the famous physicist, Stephen Hawking and his wife. (PG-13, 2 hrs, 3 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Sarasota County Libraries and Government offices are closed to observe Independence Day
- Family Movie Matinee at 1:30 p.m. Enjoy a feature length family movie on the big screen. Contact the library for the movie title.
- Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 6:00 p.m.
- LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover at 10:30 a.m. For children and families. Bring a stuffed animal to spend the night at the library. Enjoy stories and activities with your animal friend and then tuck them in for a sleepover. Come back the next day to pick them up and enjoy a slideshow of their overnight fun.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1:00 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover Pickup at 10:30 a.m. Pick up your stuffed animal friend and watch a slideshow of your animal friend and the fun they had at their sleepover the previous night.
- Artists in the Library: Personal Logos with Artist Ellen Goldberg 2:00 p.m. for teens ages 11-18. Use your initials and other symbols that represent your interests and personality to create a circular design that will become your own personal logo. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.