The Elsie Quirk Public Library is excited to introduce our informative lecture series, “The Treaty of Versailles: The Treaty that Changed the World.” Moderator John Regan will use a variety of formats throughout these presentations to review the history of this era, the consequences of the treaty, and the impact it has had on America in the 21st century. This treaty set the stage for several wars, caused the dissolution of empires and created new boundaries for countries and their residents. This is an ongoing series of talks that will occur at 10 am on January 24 and 31 as well as February 14, 21 and 28. Registration is not required to attend. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- Introduction to YouTube, Facebook, and Google Search will be held at 10 am. This class introduces the basics of how to conduct a YouTube video search and Google search as well as how to play YouTube videos and access a variety of controls. Learn how to create a Facebook account as you add friends, comment on posts and pictures, and chat with Facebook friends.
- The Suncoast Writers Guild will meet at 10 am.
- Our Adult Coloring Workshop starts at 2 pm and is a great opportunity to relax while expressing your creativity. No instruction necessary. All materials will be provided but feel free to bring your own if preferred.
- The Lego Club meets from 1:30 to 3:30 pm and is open to children ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets each month on the third Saturday in the afternoon and on the first Wednesday from 6 to 7:30 pm. No registration necessary.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play is a free class for caregivers and children ages birth to 5 to enjoy together and is held from 10:15 to 11 am or 11:15 am to noon. Experience educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Great Decisions starts at 10 am. This is America’s largest discussion series on world affairs. Attendees are asked to read each session’s selected Great Decisions topic before attending. This week’s topic is Saudi Arabian Transition. The book can be purchased at the Friends bookstore for $23 each.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5 pm. Tim discovers at the age of 21 that he can travel back in time and make different choices to change the outcome of his life. (Drama, PG-13, 1 hr. 47 mins., 2009)
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes starts at 5:30 pm. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills. Students should be able to speak some basic English.
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- The Treaty of Versailles: The Treaty that Changed the World will start at 10 am. This class will review the history of this era, the consequences of the treaty and its impact on America in the 21st No registration necessary.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 12:30 pm.
- iPads for Beginners: Part 2 starts at 2 pm. This class is the continuation of the iPads for Beginners: Part 1 class. Topics will include using email, organizing apps, and how to access and download Sarasota County Library eBooks. iPads are available or you may bring your own. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- The French Conversation Club meets at 10 am.
- The Video Mentoring Group will meet at 10 am. This meeting will include an in depth discussion of video editing.
- Minecraft Afterschool meets from 3:45 pm to 5 pm on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month. Unleash your imagination as you play on Xbox 360. Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners. Youth ages 7 to 13 are invited to participate.
- Edgar Cayce Book Discussion starts at 6 pm.
- Family Storytime starts at 10:30 am and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that include books, music and movement, crafts and other educational activities. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, Noisy Stories!
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 to 3 pm.
- The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library monthly board meeting will be at 4 pm.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners will meet from 11:30 am to 1 pm. Learn basic conversational Spanish with instructor Dan Duffy. This class is for those who know little or no Spanish. Registration is required and limited to 50 participants. Register at https://www.scgov.net/library for this free class that meets through April.
- The Age of Henry VIII lecture will start at 2 pm.
- Spanish Reading Group meets from 3 to 4:30 pm. This group is for students who have participated in the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning to intermediate level, and consists of Spanish storytelling, translation and pronunciation and grammar. This class is taught by Dan Duffy. For more information, contact Senor Duffy at Spanishfaculty@gmail.com.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.