Elsie Quirk Library Column for August 20th
Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources is partnering with Manasota SCORE, an organization with 70 volunteers providing business education and free, confidential mentoring services in Sarasota and Manatee counties, for a series of workshops for small business owners. There will be seven total workshops as part of the series, held September through March 2017. The first workshop, on Sept. 1, will feature a five member panel of marketing experts who will offer insights on how to grow your business through increased web presence.
“This is a great opportunity to partner with a local leader in small business innovation, and bring those lessons to the small business community,” said Libraries and Historical Resources Director Sarabeth Kalajian. “It’s also another way to diversify the programs we offer at county libraries, which strive to be a hub of information and support for all of Sarasota County.”
The first workshop will be held at Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library in Venice. The speakers will offer tips on digital marketing trends, tools and tactics, and provide time for questions from the audience. The Jacranda Public Library is located at 4143 Woodmere Park Blvd. This program is free, but registration is requested by visiting this link: manasota.score.org/localworkshops. The library also provides additional online resources to assist you with your business needs. You can access these resources from any computer with a Sarasota County Library card and by visiting our website at www.scgov.net/library and clicking on Web Resources from the home page.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:30 am.
- LEGO Club meets today and is open to youth ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided, just bring your imagination. Creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets the 3rd Saturday of the month from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm and the 1st Wednesday of the month from 6 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play returns September 12.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5 pm. This week’s movie features the true story of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who housed over a thousand Tutsi refugees during their struggle against the Hutu militia in Rwanda. (Drama, PG-13, 2 hrs, 2004).
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Englewood Genealogy Society will meet at 10:00 am.
- Family Storytime will return on September 8.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
Upcoming Events: Please visit the Sarasota County Library booth at the Englewood Pioneer Days Festival at Pioneer Park on Sunday, September 4, from 12 pm to 8 pm and Monday, September 5, from 8 am to 3 pm.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.