The Sarasota County Libraries have always been a proponent for community collaboration and partnering with other area organizations. This summer has certainly been no different. Some of the fantastic partnerships that occurred were organizations that we have previously partnered with such as Forty Carrots, Reading with the Rays and the Tampa Bay Blues Festival. It’s exciting when we can provide additional experiences to our patrons due to the generosity of such organizations.
This summer we implemented a pilot program called the Family Field Trip Project. Through this program, each branch was able to provide a limited number of passes to some family-friendly, area attractions on a first-come basis. The goal of this project was to support a family’s efforts to help kids stay excited and engaged in learning all summer long. This was made possible through the generosity of the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County and our Field Trip partners. We hope that we can continue to engage additional organizations to assist us in providing programs like these and even expand on some wonderful partnerships that already exist. Once upon a time, libraries were known simply for the services and programs that they provided within their buildings. That is no longer the case as Sarasota County Libraries continues to exhibit with the ongoing, innovative partnerships and experiences being provided to our customers.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild Long Writers meets at 10:30 am.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play will return in September.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5 pm. An eastern immigrant finds himself stranded in JFK airport, and must take up temporary residence there. (PG-13. 2 hrs, 8 mins., 2004).
- Flood Zone Workshop starts at 10:15 am. Anyone who has questions about flood risks, flood zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes should attend. For more information contact, Des Companion, CFM, Public Utilities, Stormwater, at 941-861-0802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Englewood Genealogy Society Board Meeting will start at 1 pm.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11 through 18 are always welcome. For more information contact Young Adult Librarian, Deirdre Morrow at 941-861-1207 or Dmorrow@scgov.net.
- Teen Game Night is 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm and open to all youth ages 9 through 18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Pioneer Days Committee Meeting starts at 6 pm. Anyone interested in volunteering for the upcoming event is encouraged to attend. For more information, please email email@example.com or visit englewoodpioneerdays.com
- Family Storytime will return in September.
- Adult Summer Reading Book Discussion meets at 10:30 am. Join us for a lively book discussion of the title, “Life After Life” by Kate Atkinson. Please inquire at the Reference Desk or Circulation Desk if you need assistance obtaining a copy of the book. Sarasota County makes every effort to provide titles in a variety of formats including large print, audio CD, eBooks, and downloadable audio. All are welcome! No registration is required.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition meets at 3 pm to discuss relevant peace issues.
- No activities to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.