Popular magazines typically found on the newsstand, can now be accessed from your computer, tablet, or mobile device. Flipster is a digital magazine solution that gives you access to the most current issue of popular magazines as well as back issues, right from the convenience of your digital device or computer. These digital magazines can be accessed by downloading the Flipster app for iOS and Android devices as well as Kindle Fire. They can be read from your computer by visiting www.scgov.net/library/databases. Once magazines are downloaded they can be read and managed offline without penalty of fines. This service is supported by the Sarasota County Library and is free to Sarasota County Residents with a library card. For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 or visit your closest Sarasota County Library branch.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild-Long Writers meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Wireless Windows Laptops for Beginners starts at 10:00 a.m. Bring your Windows laptop and learn how to navigate the Internet, use the mouse and touch pad, save to a flash drive, create and save documents, and organize files into folders. A limited number of laptops are available if you are unable to bring your own. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants.
- Great Decisions starts at 10:00 a.m. This is America’s largest discussion series on world affairs. Attendees are asked to read each session’s selected Great Decisions topic before attending. The book can be purchased at the Friends bookstore for $23 each.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play is a free class for caregivers and children ages birth to 5 to enjoy together and is held from 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 11:15 a.m. to noon. Experience educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Drop-in and practice your reading skills with a canine companion. All dogs are certified pet therapy dogs from the Suncoast Humane Society. Children ages 5 and up are welcome to attend. Younger children may participate when accompanied by a caregiver. No registration necessary.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5:00 p.m. In 1927, the silent movie superstar, George Valentin meets a young dancer, but the arrival of talking pictures sends their careers in opposite directions. (PG-13, 1 hr. 40 mins.) (2011)
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes starts at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills. Students should be able to speak some basic English.
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10:00 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- The Family Garden Club of Englewood is inviting all gardeners or potential gardeners to join them in learning some of the complexities of growing plants and trees in South Florida. The Garden Club offers a monthly event to make friends while learning more about gardening. The library hosts the club on the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m. This month’s guest speaker is Dolly Tomalinas who specializes in Horticultural Therapy. For more information, please visit their website at www.mgcefl.com.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 12:30 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead-Coding is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
- Athena discussion group meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Englewood Authors Writers Group meets at 5:00 p.m.
- The Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. This month’s selection is, “Death of a Favorite” by J.F. Powers and “Zelig” by B. Rosenblatt.
- Family Storytime starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, Bunnies.
- Englewood Area Mac Users Group-iPhones, iPads, and iPods meets at 1:30 p.m.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Tech Time starts at 2:00 p.m. and is offered by appointment. A member from the Reference Team will be available for help with eBooks, computer basics, and questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minte session by calling 941-861-1207 or by visiting the Reference Desk in-person.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners will meet from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Learn basic conversational Spanish with instructor Dan Duffy. This class is for those who know little or no Spanish.
- The Age of Henry VIII lecture series will start at 2:00 p.m.
- Spanish Reading Group meets from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This group is for students who have participated in the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. Reading is at the beginning to intermediate level, and consists of Spanish storytelling, translation and pronunciation and grammar. This class is taught by Dan Duffy. For more information, contact Senor Duffy at Spanishfaculty@gmail.com.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.