This Monday marks the beginning of National Volunteer Week. This annual celebration of volunteers was first established in 1974 to honor all the wonderful individuals who donate their time to make their community a better place. Aristotle said that serving others and doing good is the essence of life and the volunteers at Elsie Quirk Library have certainly mastered that essence. This past year, volunteers contributed over 4,198 hours to helping our library. Each year the Corporation for National and Community Service, compiles the annual “Volunteering and Civic Life in America” report. Their research shows that 25% of Americans participated in formal volunteering through an organization and that two-thirds engaged in informal volunteering such as helping a neighbor. The most recent report from November 15 shares truly remarkable data. This year’s report found that 62.6 million adults volunteered with an organization last year. Volunteers are needed to assist in the Friends Bookstore, the Elsie Quirk Reading Garden, and the Sarasota County Library Advisory Board. Please visit www.scgov.net/Volunteer/pages/default.aspx for more information on Sarasota County volunteer opportunities.
Here are the Elsie Quirk Library events for this week:
- iPhones for Beginners starts at 10:00 a.m. This informative class introduces the basics of using an iPhone. Instruction will include general navigation and functions of iPhones, using email, downloading and deleting Apps, and using your phone to take pictures and videos. Please bring your iTunes account information.
- Spanish Story Time starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages 3 to 11. Join Lourdes Fuller for a fun, interactive morning with bilingual stories, songs, and activities. No registration is required.
- Forty Carrots’ Partners in Play is a free class for caregivers and children ages birth to 5 to enjoy together and is held from 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 11:15 a.m. to noon. Experience educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families, and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Our Monday Night Movie starts at 5:00 p.m. Matt King’s family has lived in Hawaii for generations and they own over 25,000 acres of undeveloped land on Kauai. Despite the vast wealth that comes with the land, Matt has decided to live solely on what he earns as a Honolulu lawyer. His charmed life comes to a screeching halt though when his wife is involved in a boating accident and Matt must face the realities of raising rebellious teens. (Drama, R, 2 hrs.) (2011)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10:00 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Join the Englewood Camera Club at 12:30 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead-Math is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration is open to ages 5 through 11 and limited to 12 participants.
- The Englewood Genealogy Society will meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Minecraft Afterschool meets from 3:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Unleash your imagination as you play on Xbox 360. Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners. Youth ages 7 to 13 are invited to participate.
- iPads for Beginners: Part 2 will start at 10:00 a.m. This class is the continuation of iPads for Beginners: Part 1. Topics will include using email, organizing apps, and how to access and download Sarasota County Library eBooks. iPads are available or you may bring your own. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Family Storytime starts at 10:30 a.m. and is open to children ages birth to 5 and their families. No registration necessary. This week’s theme is, Bugs.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Tech Time starts at 2:00 p.m. and is offered by appointment. A member from the Reference Team will be available for help with eBooks, computer basics, and questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minte session by calling 941-861-1207 or by visiting the Reference Desk in-person.
- Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library Annual Meeting will begin at 3:00 p.m. with the regular monthly board meeting at 4:00 p.m.
- No scheduled events to report
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.